I love all things beauty but I’m not a self-proclaimed makeup artist so naturally I don’t like are applying makeup on others or having someone apply makeup on me, hence the reason I don’t go the YouTube tutorial route. However, I do love watching how-to videos and perusing Instagram photos of different makeup looks and then trying to replicate them on myself.
Inspired by @vivaglamtiffany on Instagram, I went on a mission to nail down the highlighting and contouring technique she (and Kim Kardashian’s makeup artist) does so well! She gave me some recommendations so I headed to the MAC store. When I walked in I saw that they were having a pro class the next day, I signed up. The class introduced three different celebrity looks coming off the red carpet at the Golden Globes – contouring was part of one of the looks. Below, I’ve summarized the class learnings to give you just the juicy tips!
#1 The Everyday Celebrity – Glowing skin and minimal makeup
Tips on how and where to apply the glow:
– Use skin brightening serum under or mix with foundation
– Apply highlighter on areas light would naturally hit your face
– Use Vanilla pigment to add shimmer in the inner rims of the eyes for an instant bright-eyed look
– Contour with bronzer in the shape of an inverted C starting at the hollow of your cheekbone
– Use a setting spray
#2 The Grammy Look – Gypsy-inspired color combinations that make your eyes pop!
Tips on which colors to use according to your eye shade:
– Brown Eyes – Purple eyeshadow brings out the yellow/hazel in brown eyes
– Green Eyes – Smokey cranberry hues make green eyes pop
– Blue Eyes – Orange and rust hues in combination with browns bring out the blue
#3 The Academy Award – “Modern Day Marilyn” – modern, simple, red lips.
This look was worn by Salma Hayek, Zooey Deschanel and Julianne Moore on the red carpet at the Golden Globes.
Tip on how to apply red lipstick which doesn’t bleed:
– Use lip primer and go outside of lip line, it helps against the feathering of red lipstick.
My look incorporates a bit of all three looks but mostly I learned which products could help me achieve the contoured look I’m currently obsessed with!
Here are the MAC products I used to achieve the look above (as pictured).
- To highlight under eyes, nose, chin – MAC Select Cover-Up (my shade: NC30) / MAC blending brush #224
- To illuminate above cheekbone – MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Soft and Gentle
- To set the look – MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder