I love all things beauty but I’m not a self-proclaimed makeup artist so naturally I don’t like are applying makeup on others or having someone apply makeup on me, hence the reason I don’t go the YouTube tutorial route. However, I do love watching how-to videos and perusing Instagram photos of different makeup looks and then trying to replicate them on myself.
Inspired by @vivaglamtiffany on Instagram, I went on a mission to nail down the highlighting and contouring technique she (and Kim Kardashian’s makeup artist) does so well! She gave me some recommendations so I headed to the MAC store. When I walked in I saw that they were having a pro class the next day, I signed up. The class introduced three different celebrity looks coming off the red carpet at the Golden Globes – contouring was part of one of the looks. Below, I’ve summarized the class learnings to give you just the juicy tips!
#1 The Everyday Celebrity – Glowing skin and minimal makeup
Tips on how and where to apply the glow:
– Use skin brightening serum under or mix with foundation
– Apply highlighter on areas light would naturally hit your face
– Use Vanilla pigment to add shimmer in the inner rims of the eyes for an instant bright-eyed look
– Contour with bronzer in the shape of an inverted C starting at the hollow of your cheekbone
– Use a setting spray
#2 The Grammy Look – Gypsy-inspired color combinations that make your eyes pop!
Tips on which colors to use according to your eye shade:
– Brown Eyes – Purple eyeshadow brings out the yellow/hazel in brown eyes
– Green Eyes – Smokey cranberry hues make green eyes pop
– Blue Eyes – Orange and rust hues in combination with browns bring out the blue
#3 The Academy Award – “Modern Day Marilyn” – modern, simple, red lips.
Tip on how to apply red lipstick which doesn’t bleed:
– Use lip primer and go outside of lip line, it helps against the feathering of red lipstick.
My look incorporates a bit of all three looks but mostly I learned which products could help me achieve the contoured look I’m currently obsessed with!
Here are the MAC products I used to achieve the look above (as pictured).
- To highlight under eyes, nose, chin – MAC Select Cover-Up (my shade: NC30) / MAC blending brush #224
- To illuminate above cheekbone – MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Soft and Gentle
- To set the look – MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder