Whether we know it or not, there are chemicals in everything we consume, from apples to microwavable popcorn. I recently read an article about 7 Foods You Should Never Eat referencing expert commentary from food scientists. Fortunately, I haven’t eaten any of the forbidden foods but that got me thinking how it applies to what I put on my face.
One of my friends in New York put me in touch with Marie Michele, founder of Juvance Cosmetics. Her experience spans many of the beauty industry’s most renowned brands such as Clinique, Chanel and Shisheido. Now Michele’s mission is to provide natural and therapeutic products and regimens to balance, enhance and renew the skin’s natural beauty. On my journey towards putting an end to my dry skin, I was excited to speak to this leading “skin scientist.”
I tried out the 4-step regimen Michele suggested after I gave her a rundown of my skin routine. Her overall analysis was that my skin was “eating” but not “drinking”. Here’s her custom recipe:
1. Purifying Gel
- What It Does: Deeply cleanses, purifies pores and removes impurities.
- Ingredients: Alpha and Beta-Hydroxy Acid, Aloe Vera Gel, Salicylic Acid, Lactid Acid, Vitamin B, Bromelain Extract and Papain Enzymes.
- How I used it: Twice daily using gel cleanser and exfoliant.
2. Balancing Ginseng Softener
- What It Does: Preps the skin for hydration while balancing, toning, refreshing and firming the skin.
- Ingredients: Aloe Vera, Ginseng, Witch Hazel and Horse Chestnut Extracts.
- How I used it: Applied with cotton ball after Purifying Gel.
3. Renewal Bamboo Scrub (Exfoliant)
- What It Does: Gently removes dead skin cells, refines pores and stimulates cellular regeneration.
- Ingredients: Ground Bamboo and Jojoba Beads, Chamomile Extract, Aloe Vera, Papaya Extract, Bromelain Extract and Papain Enzymes.
- How I used it: Scrubbed gently in circular motion avoiding delicate eye area, twice a week.
4. Revitalizing Moisturizer
- What It Does: Helps improve oxygenation, detoxifies and stimulates the skin. Helps refine pores, balance oil, soothes irritation, and slows the creation of new lines and wrinkles.
- Ingredients: Aloe Vera Gel, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Sodium Hyaluronate.
- How I used it: Twice a day.
The main ingredient not included in these products? Alcohol! Also the culprit for dry skin. So yes, this is rehab for my face. Granted, not all alcohol is created equal but after one week of use, I can see a difference in my skin. It’s smoother, my pores are smaller, no break outs and overall my skin just feels cleaner and moisturized. Michele’s line of Juvance Cosmetics can be found in beauty boutiques in the tri-state area and can also be purchased directly on the Juvance Cosmetics website. She’s currently working to become available in Whole Foods as well so make sure to look out for that! In the meantime, take a look at your skincare regimen and identify which ingredients you’re currently applying on your skin…you just might be in need of a skin detox. Share your thoughts below!